Thinking about dental implants? Take a look at the following tips on how to make the right choices and get the most out of your implants:
- The right doctor. Licensed dentists know enough to do the procedure. Some undergo additional training to make sure they master implant techniques. This is why they’re called implantologists. However, periodontists or oral surgeons undergo much more complex training. Between the two, you should choose the second option, since oral surgeons hold more experience and training. Also, if you want to undergo the procedure under sedation, an oral surgeon is better equipped to handle that request than a periodontist.
- No such thing as implants in a day. Not unless you only need one tooth replaced. However, if you’ve got a full set of teeth that need to be replaced, don’t expect to get your dental implants the first time you walk into the dentist’s office. Remember that there are diagnostic tests to go through, as well as a long planning process that will need to be finalized. The diagnostic exam is important since this determines whether you’ve got enough bone for the procedure or not.
- Temporary crowns. It’s not really ideal to get the crowns on the same day that you get the implants. Most dentists will suggest putting them in only after your jawbone has bonded with the titanium implant screw. When you put the crown on, that add another layer of pressure on the implant, and that might get in the way of the recovery.
- Be familiar with the timeline. The length of your treatment depends entirely on your bone density. The faster your bones heal around the screw, the faster your treatment will end. For some people, this can take about six months or more.
- Brush, floss, and visit the dentist. These are three of the most important things you can do to ensure excellent dental health. Don’t skip it, especially flossing. All it takes is a few minutes every day to keep your teeth happy, healthy, and cavity-free.
- Avoid smoking. Since putting in implants means you’ve got wounds that need to heal, smoking can inhibit the healing.
Before you go for implants, make sure you know what to expect. That way, you can be realistic about the treatment and find ways to make the most out of it. For dental implants in Charlotte NC, contact the Brady Family Dentistry. If you want to know more about the company’s services, visit the www.bradyfamilydentistry.com today.