When you or a loved one are sick or injured, you know it’s important to get medical care. Sometimes it can be difficult to decide whether you should see a provider at an urgent care, go to an emergency room, or wait to see your primary care physician. Here’s more information on the proper utilization of urgent care facilities that can help with this important decision.
First: What is an Urgent Care Clinic?
A generation ago, urgent care clinics were not as prevalent as they are today. The increased visibility of urgent care facilities in communities has made it easier to receive medical care but has also given rise to confusion as to what an urgent care facility actually does and when it is appropriate to visit one.
Simply put, an urgent care facility is a walk-in style medical clinic that provides care for situations that shouldn’t wait for treatment but are not life-threatening. This may include illness, injury, or other conditions and services are generally available to all ages.
When to Choose an Urgent Care Over an Emergency Room
Knowing when something is urgent versus emergent can be difficult. Here are some guidelines to check your scenario against:
- Recurrent vomiting or diarrhea. To prevent dehydration, go to the urgent care. If blood or other markers of serious conditions are present, go to the emergency room.
- Fever under 102 degrees Fahrenheit and without a rash present. If a rash is present or fever is higher, seek emergency treatment instead.
- Sprains or strains. If bones are likely broken, seek emergency treatment.
- Abdominal discomfort, cold or flu-like symptoms, etc. If these symptoms are not severe, you can schedule an appointment with your primary care provider or see an medical professional at an urgent care facility.
- Cuts, scrapes, bruises, etc. Minor lacerations or abrasions that may require stitches, cauterization, or skin glue are all good candidates for treatment at your local Urgi-Med Urgent Care in Randolph, NJ. Deeper cuts or those which are profusely bleeding are a job for your nearest emergency room.
If you’re in need of urgent medical care for yourself or your loved one, stop in to see the compassionate experts at Urgi-Med Urgent Care. They’ll have you feeling better and back on your feet in no time!
Click here to know more about Urgent Care Clinic in Randolph, NJ.